As our students experience changes and challenges, both personally and developmentally, ICS is proud to offer a holistic school counseling program. Our counseling program helps our students to develop in academic, personal, and social education. The intent of our program is to ensure that our students feel secure in their learning environments to support their growth and success. Our services include individual counseling, group counseling, and in-class guidance programs.
Parental involvement is vital to the success of the guidance counseling program at ICS. Whether through email, phone conversations, or meetings, parents are contacted when there is a need to talk about the student’s academic or behavioral performance. Parents are encouraged to call or email to refer their student to the counseling program as necessary.
Time spent in the counseling office is confidential to build a trusting relationship between the counselor and the student. Parents are given the general feedback of the sessions, and teachers or administration are only included when the student’s classroom performance or behavior is involved. Parents are contacted immediately if a student discusses intent to harm him/herself or someone else. All employees at ICS are required by law to report any disclosures of abuse by any student.
Potential Topics covered in Guidance Counseling:
- Conflict Resolution/No-Bullying
- Self-esteem issues
- Showing respect for peers and teachers
- Kindness and honesty: being a good friend, making a new student feel welcome
- Communication and social skills
- Responsibility, personal hygiene, organization skills, study skills
- Behavioral modification in the classroom
- Transition from elementary school to middle school
- Leadership skills, career awareness, goal setting, time management
- Grief, sickness, and divorce counseling
- Anxiety, stress, eating disorders, and depression counseling
- Staying safe and drug free
- Team work